Tomato, Halloumi & Basil Pasta Bowl

Last night I knocked up an absolute corker of an al fresco supper.


Some evenings are designed for sitting outside with a glass of something icy, plotting the next adventure and soaking up the last of the rays. This just so happened to be one of those deliciously peaceful evenings.

A trip to the supermarket was at the very bottom of my to-do list, much to my stomach's disapproval, but after a quick rummage around the kitchen cupboards, I had everything I needed.

Fresh, zingy and packed to the rafters with flavour, this is one of my all time favourite pasta dishes.

The fact that it takes around twelve minutes from pan to plate is a huge plus, but what I like more than anything about this dish, is the salty/sweet combination the cheese and tomato get going on.

It quite literally makes me drool.



To make enough for two hungry bellies, you're going to need:

Two handfuls of dried spaghetti
One big handful of fresh basil
One can of cherry tomatoes
One can of chopped tomatoes
A big chunk of fresh halloumi
A glug of balsamic vinegar
A sprinkle of chilli flakes
A clove of garlic
1 tablespoon sugar
Olive oil



Quick as you can, get your pasta cooking. Someone once told me that pasta should be cooked in water as salty as the Mediterranean Sea. Someone else once told me to always add a glug of olive oil to the water to keep the strands from sticking together. I can't say it's gospel, but it's always worked for me.

Whilst the pasta's bubbling away, make your sauce. Drizzle your olive oil over a hot pan and crush in your garlic. After a minute or so, empty in your tomatoes and give it a good stir. Season to taste and adjust the flavours according to your taste buddy's.

It's no secret that tinned toms can be a little on the bitter side, so add a tablespoon of sugar to mellow things out, your balsamic vinegar and chilli flakes. Finely chop about 3/4s of the fresh basil and in the pan it goes.

Keep the remainder to one side for scattering later.


Whilst your sauce gently simmers, grab a griddle pan and chop your cheese into chunky slices. When the pan's hot enough, lay them down until golden and scarred on each side. This should only take a minute or two.

Drain off the pasta, making sure to rinse with hot water over the sink (this removes excess starch and stops it from becoming clumpy) and submerge it into your tomato sauce, coating it nice and evenly.

Plate up, pop your cooked cheese on top and scatter over the last of the basil.



I served mine with a fresh green salad but garlic and rosemary bread would take this dinner to places I've never even heard of.


Who needs Sainsbury's, anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment