It's A Little Chilli (...Con Carne) Outside

I refuse to spend the month of January hungry.

According to my Instagram and Facebook, the majority of my friends are living strictly lettuce-only-lives over the forthcoming frosty weeks.

Now I'm all for eating healthy and everything, but come on! It's bloody freezing outside and a pile of iceberg is gonna do nothing but make me downright sorrowful.

Instead of repenting my Quality Street related sins like a good girl, I'm rebelling.

I'm going to chow down on a bowl of Chilli Con Charlotte and you're invited to join me!


Rich, packed full of flavour and totally home-made I don't want to hear a peep from you about having this as a 'cheat' meal. This is good-for-the-soul, proper winter grub.

Knock up a batch midweek and take the leftovers in for a corker of a packed lunch the next day. I promise you now, you're going to love it! 

To make enough for four servings, you're going to need:

800g tinned chopped tomatoes
400g kidney beans
1 can baked beans (I like Heinz Five Beans)
2 white onions, diced
2 red peppers, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Small bunch fresh coriander
2 heaped tsp cinnamon
3 heaped tsp ground cumin
3 heaped tsp chilli powder
3 heaped tsp paprika
500g lean minced beef
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Dollop of crème fraîche

I serve mine up with fluffy white rice & pitta's, jacket potatoes or salted corn chips.




In a big pan, drizzle in a little olive oil and add the chopped onions and garlic. After a minute or so, throw in the peppers and turn the heat down to medium.

When the peppers have softened, add the spices and season well. Drain the kidney beans and add them to the pot too, along with the baked beans and balsamic vinegar.

Give everything a stir and throw in your tomatoes. Fill one empty can up with water and add that too. Sprinkle in your sugar, pop on the lid and leave to simmer.




In a separate pan, brown your mince and season with salt and pepper. Begrudgingly drain off the excess oil and add the beef to the chilli sauce. Have a taste and adjust the spices accordingly. I always end up throwing in more chilli powder and cumin!

Pop the lid on and simmer for 45 minutes, giving it the occasional stir and taste test (very naughtily eat some and groan). Meanwhile, boil your rice and toast the pitta's.

Just before serving, sprinkle over the coriander and swirl in your crème fraîche.



Enjoy! And remember to keep some for tomorrow's lunch if you can stop yourself from devouring the whole pot. It really is the bomb diggity the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment