The Countryside Rehab

Last weekend I awoke to the Mac Daddy of all hangovers.

I rolled over, dry mouthed and bleary eyed, frantically searched the duvets for my iPhone, gulped down a pint of water & assessed my creative choice of sleepwear.

Fully prepared to surrender to my mattress for the day, I rolled over and saw this:


I immediately felt a pang of zen and everything (head included) felt better again. 

After another pint of water, paracetamol, ibuprofen, a resolve and a mug of sugary tea (kids, don't try this at home) I began to feel human again. The sun was shining and it soon became apparent that I was in dire need of a good Sunday lunch.

Naturally, this meant a trip to the countryside. The Boy and I hopped in the car, popped the roof and headed to the parentals house.


Ok, ok. We may or may not have made a quick stop-off for a spot of deep fried sustenance en route and that may or may not be a Sausage & Egg McMuffin.


We drove along happy and windswept, chatting about nothing all the way there.

Upon our arrival, we ditched our bags, jumped into wellies and set out into the sunlit fields in search of the family.



We met a little mother frog who was guarding her young spawn along the way.


But she hadn't seen them since feeding time for the fish earlier that morning. 


Just as we were nearing the paddock, K appeared in her glamourous truck!


We hopped on board and she took us out into one of the fields where M and C were hard at work. The roof of their horse shed had been blown away during the bad weather, so we shouted directions and to and fro'd until the mission was complete.

Worn out and starving, we finally sat down to Sunday lunch.

 





 




C served up roast beef and we piled our plates high with crispy roast potatoes, green veggies and yorkshire puddings.

I'm a firm believer that the human body includes a second stomach solely for the use of pudding, so I made sure I ate my fill of supper before the pie came out.



Normal and pudding tummies nice and full, we bounded in to the television room for rugby and homemade buttery flapjacks. (NB - I can always room for flapjacks).


And just as the sun began to set, we packed away our things and made our way back home. We cruised along with the roof down and heaters blowing all the way there.


 
I don't know quite what it is about the countryside that relaxes me so much, everything just seems a little slower out there. As much as I love London, it's nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life every now and then, even if it is just for roast beef and a cup of tea.

What are your plans this weekend? Make sure you let me know if you're heading anywhere lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment